Cyber attacks are on the increase. Not just because I say so, it is a fact [1,2,3]. Cyber criminals are turning to the virtual world and usually the figures demonstrate their success in doing so.
Some countries are even thinking of having their own operating system, ie India , as if that will block cyber attacks. It will slightly reduce the amount of automated attacks but it will only be a matter of time until these are also targeted.
What we do need is an increase in user awareness and a better understanding of the security issues that we face every day. In the same way that we look left and right before crossing the road, we need to double check and double guess if a file is suspicious or not.
Certainly an expected increase in salaries, in the USA, for IT Security Professionals is a step in the right direction.
 – Terrorist cyber attacks are a growing threat to the nation, says GCHQ chief – http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/internet/8060641/Terrorist-cyber-attacks-are-a-growing-threat-to-the-nation-says-GCHQ-chief.html –
 – Australian military reveals 230% increase in cyber attacks in 2010 – http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/10/11/243285/Australian-military-reveals-230-increase-in-cyber-attacks-in.htm
 – Cyber attacks on utilities tipped to soar – http://www.securecomputing.net.au/News/234954,cyber-attacks-on-utilities-tipped-to-soar.aspx
 – India Plans Indigenous Operating System to Thwart Cyber Attacks – http://it.tmcnet.com/topics/it/articles/108048-india-plans-indigenous-operating-system-thwart-cyber-attacks.htm
- IT Salary Guide Shows Increase in Salaries for IT Security Professionals – http://www.securityweek.com/it-salary-guide-shows-increase-salaries-it-security-professionals