Do you own a Sony Vaio Laptop?

This blog entry can also be considered as a survey. Along with my other computers I own a Sony Vaio also. It came to my attention that the Windows(R) installation that comes with the Vaio laptop contains among others an interesting file. It is an extra screensaver.

This screensaver resides at
C:\WINDOWS\system32\vaiomov.scr

This screensaver is not listed in the Screen Savers list under your Display Properties window.

It is there to be activated after a preconfigured timeout whenever you have your laptop waiting at the Windows Welcome screen without logging into your account. The video that is played when this screensaver is activated is:
C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Original Screen Saver\VAIO Scene SD\VAIO Scene 640×400 W.wmv

Well, you probably wonder what this has to do with security. The Windows(R) protects (in a way) the screensavers which are shipped by default with the Operating System. In this case, I managed to make my Vaio screensaver to execute whatever I wanted when activated. Because this screensaver is not expected to be there and it is not in the screensavers list, it is difficult to notice that it has been modified and obviously doesn’t do what it supposed to do.

Let me know if you can locate the same file within your Vaio laptop.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Do you own a Sony Vaio Laptop?

1. huw read says:

I used to own a sony vaio. It was a nice machine, and I think I can recall it behaving in much the same way as yours 🙂

2. Sergio says:

Yep, it’s there. Not the movie (it might be different depending on the Sony Vaio model or the advertisement campaign planned at the moment of the purchase).

In my case it plays the video C:\Program Files\Sony\VAIO Original Screen Saver\VAIO Original\FZ Series Screen Saver.wmv which shows some Sony Vaio advertisements and then a Ghostrider movie trailer.

Quite stupid, if you ask me. On one side, the video will *eat* your battery since the video seems to be a HD wmv (or at least it looks very nice) and I guess it will use more CPU (and LCD activity) than a “blank screen” screensaver. The movie never stops, by the way, it always loops an the screen never goes into power saving. Duh.

On the other hand, I haven’t seen that Sony updates the screensaver in any way. I mean the video content. Being stuck with the Ghostrider trailer, when it was already on theatres a looooong time ago, has been released on DVD/HDDVD/BluRay/WeWantYourMoneyD a looong time ago, and has been sold at reduced prices for quite a while (the movie doesn’t deserve much bucks) is quite frustating. It would be nice if Sony updated their screensaver with new trailers, new movie advances, TV series teasers (Lost!), etc. That would have been nice.

As a summary, the Sony Original(uh?) Screen Saver drains your battery, takes up disk space and is boring to death. Uninstall it.

3. terrific8486 says:

it’s there, on a friend’s computer. She gave it to me cause it freaked the hell out of her everytime it appeared

4. Ari says:

Pleasing to find smoonee who can think like that